Monday, July 11, 2011

A New Format

I have a featured artist show coming up in October and the gallery thought it would be great idea to include some small paintings so that clients could have the option of some more affordable pieces, along with my larger work. Instead of just doing a few small panels, I thought it would be a good idea to have three sets of 2 by 2 grids. I thought I would do a grid with 6"x6", 8"x8", and 10"x10" panels in them.

Now, to make the paintings even more interesting, I thought I would paint the same image on each panel of the grid. Sounds kind of boring, huh? Well, if they were all exactly the same, I'm sure it would be. What I decided to do was take one image and enlarge it into four sizes and then crop them differently too. It would be the same image, but different at the same time. Making any sense? If not, I started the 8"x8" panel grid today. These are extremely rough and one panel hasn't been painted at all, so you'll have to use your imagination. Let me know what you think of this idea.



In case you're wondering, it isn't easy to do the same image three times and make them all look the same. Now, this is still in the underpainting stage so I still have a lot of work to do and they may end up looking more alike when I am done, but for now, not so much. We'll see how they look tomorrow. 




1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea, Jhina! Very inventive. And it could make someone want to buy the whole grid (of course) because they're getting sort of a Director of Photography's view of the subjects. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete