Friday, May 6, 2011

111 Minna Gallery Reception for "Absence of Presence"

Last night's opening was incredible! The artwork looked great and the crowd was fun...the margaritas were pretty tasty too. All three of the other artists had strong work that complemented each other really well. Micah LeBrun did a great job of curating the show!


 Rockford Orvin (pictured above), a Southern Utah artists, was here for the opening, along with a large amount of his family and friends that flew out for the reception. He does incredible acrylic and prismacolor photo-realistic pieces on thick panels he makes himself. He was a lot of fun to talk to (I could see us being friends) and we are hoping to do another show together soon. I don't know if you can see his necklace, but it's a gold paintbrush!


Sergio Navarro-Duran is one of those artists who, when you look at his work, you think "Damn! That guy must be super patient!". Why would I say that? All of his pieces are done in BALL POINT ink! These aren't tiny pieces either. The piece pictured above is easily, probably (since I didn't think to remember the measurements) 70"x30". When I told him he must be a very patient guy, he said "Well, yes. That's cause I'm married." Seeing as how I have only been married since September, I don't think I would have the patience to do what does quite yet. It is stunning though.



Tim Schafer does intricate graphite drawings using just the figure and a lot of white space. Sound familiar? His drawings are so soft and beautiful. Another artist and I were amazed at how clean his paper was. No smudges or eraser marks. To me, that's an impressive skill. Add in that the guy can actually draw, and you have some great work.


And now for some installation views of my work:




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Jhina. It looks like a great show.

    ReplyDelete