Saturday, March 26, 2011

Two New Paintings in the Works

I don't know why I thought I had a free moment to play with a bunch of color studies before open studios. I guess I figured I had enough time to get ready for my two shows, one in May and one in June.  I thought I could just paint some small pieces for open studios next month and then worry about the other shows afterwards. I was wrong. I guess I wasn't really thinking.

I need to show the curator for 111 Minna Gallery  all of my new work for the four person show at the beginning of April. I also need to send images of different new work for the Women on Figures show at Madison Gallery , which is in June, around mid-April too. I don't know why I thought I had more time. I came to this realization about two days ago and now I am painting as many new pieces in the next week or two that I can. It's crazy, but I know I can get at least 5 new paintings started and mostly finished in the next week. I am on Spring break so I have all day, every day, until April 3rd. It's time to kick it into superwoman mode!

30"x24", "Dancing Nurses"
I am currently working on two pieces. One, "Dancing Nurses" is mostly done, except for the two nurses on the right need their faces/ heads worked on. I usually work on the faces and heads first but for some reason worked backwards this time. I think I can finish this tomorrow in about an hour. I like the large amount of white on this piece. The wax will make the white areas recede even more so that the painting will be really subtle, which I like.

24"x24", "Homemaker of the Year"
The next painting has a pretty complicated pattern on the woman's dress. I liked the idea of challenging myself, but as I was painting it, I kept thinking "What the hell was I thinking???" I'll still finish the pattern and I think ultimately it will look fine, but it may take some time. I was only able to get the underpainting done and hope to get a large portion done tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment