Saturday, March 19, 2011

Chairs, Chairs, and More Chairs

Sometimes I like to pick one thing and paint it multiple times. I think it's a good exercise in seeing, as in, each time you paint the object, you see something different that you may not have caught the first time. Today I painted a chair...twice. I like this chair because it's paint is chipped which makes it much more interesting that just your average chair. I painted it on small pretty small canvases (6"x6" and 4"x6") that I collaged old paper on and then stained with a raw umber. It gives the painting a nice surface to sit on and it makes me happy since I really don't like the texture of canvas and hate when the weave shows through. The paper gets rid of that and adds some interesting texture and "roughness" that I like. I think it's a good look.

I think this painting needs a horizon line so that the chair doesn't look like it's floating.

I only worked on the second chair for about a half hour since I had to run home to meet my tax accountant. I will probably spend an hour tomorrow on it since I think it could look better with a little more work. It's really still in the underpainting stage. I will probably paint this chair a few more times tomorrow and then move on to a different object on Monday.

On a side note...I am extremely excited about signing up for some classical realism painting and drawing classes with Sadie Valeri. The woman is an amazing painter and I am excited to learn from her. I am self-taught and don't have any art training other than the occasional encaustic workshop. I am starting to feel like I need to take my work a step further and that I have gone as far as I can go on my own. These classes will help me propel my work to a new level and I'm excited about it!! Unfortunately the classes don't start until the Fall so in the meantime, I'll keep painting and figuring things out on my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment