Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Shipping Blues and Other News

My paintings in Madison Gallery's front window. Photo courtesy of Amber George.
The good news is Madison Gallery in La Jolla loved my latest five paintings that I emailed them today. The bad news is they want all five at the gallery by this Thursday for the annual Art and Wine Walk of La Jolla. What??? Yes, this Thursday! So today I spent a good amount of time wiring and boxing up the three smaller pieces and hauling my ass to the Fedex store so they could ship on time. It was a crazy hour and I felt like a chicken with my head chopped off. I wasn't able to ship the two larger pieces since it would be extremely expensive to ship them in two days and I was out of packing materials, in addition to heavy wire so that I could wire the backs for hanging. I will still have to ship these two last paintings but it's going to have to wait until I can pick up some more supplies.

I seem to be shipping my paintings almost as soon as I finish waxing them. This is not a complaint by any means. I am ecstatic that people love my work and want it in their gallery. I just seem to be spending a lot of money on shipping supplies and Fedex. I think I need to start buying my supplies online from Uline, or someplace similar, because it's getting to expensive to keep going to Office Depot.

In other news, I was able to start and finish the painting portion of a piece today. The contrast on her face is very low which tends to make the painting look a little cartoony to me, but I love the highlights from the sun shining on her left side. I think I need to stay away from low contrast images since they always look to cartoony for me. My high contrast paintings are always my more successful pieces and I need to keep that in mind when selecting my images. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment