Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions, Part 2

As I stated in a previous post, I'm not a fan or New Year's resolutions and opt for a list of things to do for the year. I find that it's more rewarding for me to look at the list at the end of the year and cross off what I've accomplished. I list big and small things, things that are easily accomplished (but I haven't done for whatever reason) and things that are more difficult but good goals to aim for. I try not to get down on myself for what wasn't accomplished but instead congratulate myself for the things I did do. Here is my list for 2011:

1. Have 5 galleries represent me. I had this last year and came pretty close to accomplishing it. I think this year I will definitely be crossing this off my list.

2. Make at least $30,000 in art sales. I think this is a reasonable amount to achieve this year. My art sales have been increasing every year and I hope that the trend continues. I picked this amount since it should be easily achieved. I am hoping to actually make more since we all know that living off that much money is almost impossible...especially in San Francisco!

3. Organize my studio space. I am running out of space and need to reorganize to maximize the space that I have.

4. Take a painting class. When I finally realized that I was actually good at math (during grad school), I started taking math classes at the community college in order to increase my knowledge and see what I could do. It was a lot of fun now that I knew I could do it and I learned a lot. When I started the "Forgotten Memories" series, I had never painted a person before. I didn't know if I could and challenged myself to do something I had previously though I was bad at. Now that I know I can paint the human form, I want to learn everything I can about doing it, just as I had done with math.

5. Paint a new series that I love. I have been struggling with this new series and am fighting the urge to give it up and continue with what I know. I'm not quitting though because I know that challenging myself is good. Feeling uncomfortable with what I am painting means that I am pushing myself. It's not okay for me to be stagnant in my creativity and this year I am pushing myself to start and FINISH a new series, AND like what I do, no matter how anxious and uncomfortable the process may make me. I can't just paint within my comfort zone and not push myself or my work.

6. Go to New York at least once this year. It's always good to visit this city and absorb the art scene there. This shouldn't be a problem.

I know I had a few more things on my list but they weren't art related so I will leave those off. Here's to all of us accomplishing what we want this year! CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment