Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Favorite Artist of the Month: David Imlay

Everyone has had a crush before. You meet or see someone who makes you feel excited or good inside just thinking about them and it's a great feeling. Crushes are good. Crushes make you feel alive. Artists have crushes much like everyone else, but instead of the person making you feel good, it's their art. David Imlay is my art crush.

I first saw David's artwork in 2008 at the Reaves Gallery, where both of us were showing our work at the time. He had these amazing photo-realistic oil paintings of San Francisco neighborhoods that took my breath away. They were beautiful with their rich colors and stunning accuracy. At that time, I hadn't started my "Forgotten Memories" series using old photographs as my inspiration but always had a fondness for nostalgia and anything vintage. David's paintings are powered by nostalgia. In his artist statement he states that "he hopes to connect the viewer with the plurality of fleeting nostalgia and hope." I think that is why I am so drawn to them. They remind me of my days growing up in Southern California and my early years here in San Francisco.

If you haven't experienced David Imlay's artwork in person, you need to do so and do it soon. I'm sure you will find yourself a new art crush, like I did.
"143 San Clemente" 30" x 40"


"Dad", 16" x 20"


"Eat Diner", 30" x 40"


"Evening Lights 1", 24" x 24"
(This is one of my favorites!)


"No Parking", 20" x 20"

No comments:

Post a Comment