Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Taking Care of Business...


Now that I am going to go full-time creating art, there were a few things that I had to set up in order to do this. Basic things, like getting a business account at my bank and applying for a credit card for business purchases only, were some of the things that I did today. I know they are basic, mundane things, but I have to say that I am pretty excited that I did this. This small, yet significant, step somehow makes it more real for me that I am on my way to doing this professionally. Okay, I have been painting professionally for a few years now, but now it's official. Having the long, business checks with my name at the top means that I am I am more legitimate...at least in my head.

I also set up an eBay account and have started to sell my ACEOs there. They have been selling, even though at a really cheap price. This is okay for now because I figure that it is getting my name out there and people are becoming familiar with my work and name. It is also enabling me to acquire stars from feedback. The more stars you have, the more people trust you as a seller. Once people are more familiar with my work and I've gained their trust, I will start selling small works, under 16 inches, there and see how they do.

After spending way too much time "surfing" eBay while I should be grading papers, I have found that some artists are doing really well there. I saw one artist who had bids for his ACEOs reach the $75 mark! Others were going for around $24, which is pretty damn good considering that these paintings are 2.5" x 3.5". Now I don't think my larger paintings will do well there, but I think my sketches and smaller pieces could garner a pretty good income for me, and, once again, get my name out there. It's all about name recognition!

Image: "Day at the Lake", 30" x 30" oil and encaustic on panel.
SXQDRNHAB5H9

1 comment:

  1. Yay for you! Isn't it awesome to wake up in the morning and have an email saying you've sold something!?
    Which ones have you sold and can I ask for how much?
    (Hey, now you can't give me crap for selling on Etsy!)

    ReplyDelete