Saturday, February 9, 2013

Subtle Color

I just finished two paintings that, along with more, is bound for the JoAnne Artman Gallery and the New York Affordable Art Fair in April. The piece with the "flying" man has a thin dark strip at the bottom of the piece, done in powdered graphite. It's the first time I have used this on one of my own pieces and I like the subtle, yet shininess of the color. I didn't want to add too much in terms of color on this one since I like the light feeling of this one, as if the guy is flying into nothingness. I think if there was color or a thicker bar, it would have weighed the piece down. I am letting the pieces dictate what they need in terms of color and blocking. What I want to avoid is a formulaic look to my pieces. I hope you like this piece!

"Flying High" 16"x16", oil, encaustic wax, and graphite.



No comments:

Post a Comment